Monday, January 28, 2013

Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal by Jeanette Winterson

Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal by Jeanette Winterson is a true story about a grown woman trying to find happiness after a screwed up childhood.

I'm on a quest. Not a dangerous Indiana Jones type quest, but a quest to find as many nonfiction books in which the parents of the author raised them in awful, sad or simply whackadoo ways. I'm going to collect said books and keep them in a chest in the house, unknown to my children. Then someday, when my children are teenagers, and they start to think I am awful- I will pounce! I will gather these books from the secret chest and force my ungrateful spawn to read them. Then, only after they have read at least several of these books, I will say to them "See, see how gloriously wonderful your mother is?" This book is going in the chest, my friends.

This insomniac's opinion:

I enjoyed this book(as much as one can enjoy hearing about a young girl whose parents did not love her as they should). I admired the author's ability to stay optimistic even under dreary circumstances. Even in the worst of times, she is able to find humor. The book is yet another example of why we need care for those who are mentally ill. As a nurse, I found myself diagnosing her mother with a myriad of mental illnesses. I hope that Ms. Winterson has continued to find peace in her life and understand that she was deserving of much more as a child.

Worth staying up all night to read?

I certainly think the book is worth reading, but it couldn't hold my interest for long periods of time. I read it piecemeal over a couple of weeks.

Rating: 3 stars

Want to add this to your Goodreads shelf?
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11395597-why-be-happy-when-you-could-be-normal

Leave a comment if you know the perfect book for my chest o' horrors....

No comments:

Post a Comment