Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Rules of Civility by Amor Towles

Rules of Civility by Amor Towles follows twenty five year old Katey Kontent, a working class New Yorker, as she sets out in the male-oriented society of 1937 to make a life for herself. She inadvertently finds herself becoming friends with the the upper echelons of New York society and meets Tinker Grey, a handsome banker,who she becomes smitten with. She will soon find out that all is not as it seems.

This insomniac's opinion:

I found this novel to be quite agreeable. I truly enjoyed the main character, Katey Kontent and her ferocity and general disdain for the treatment of women in 1930's society. I have to say, though, that her name was more suitable for that of a low-class stripper than a strong female character. It is rare that I enjoy a female character who is written by a male author, so that was a very pleasant surprise. There were several small twists in the story that I did not see coming and I enjoyed the plot as a whole.

Worth staying up all night to read?

Yes. This is one of those books that I devoured for the first half, and moved much slower during the second half for me. So, maybe stay up to read the first half and leave the last half for tomorrow!

Rating: 4 stars

Want to add this to your Goodreads shelf?

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10054335-rules-of-civility

No comments:

Post a Comment