Thursday, January 17, 2013

Dark Places


In Dark Places by Gillian Flynn we meet Libby Day, whose mother and two sisters were murdered when she was a young girl. Her testimony helped to convict her older brother, Ben, of the murders. Twenty-five years later, Libby questions if he was truly the murderer and embarks on a quest to find the truth.

This insomniac's opinion:

The title for this book ,Dark Places, is absolutely appropriate. This book is incredibly bleak and twisted. This is the second Gillian Flynn novel that I have read(Gone Girl being the first). I am sure the real "dark place" must be inside Gillian Flynn's mind. I have a distinct urge to break into her brain, power wash the cobwebs out until it is sparkling clean and paint the walls yellow(you're welcome, Ms. Flynn!). So, be warned, ask your doctor to call in a temporary anti-depressant and/or sleeping pill script while you tackle this book(or do what I did and crack open a bottle of wine!).

I'm not sure what adjective to use to describe my feeling about the book. I can't really say enjoyed, because it's not a book that makes you feel warm and fuzzy. But, it was incredibly compelling and well-written. I read it over two days(and believe me when I tell you that I could not sleep on the night in between!) and wanted to know who the killer was so badly that I was tempted to flip to the end. Gillian Flynn has an uncanny knack for building suspension and adding in twists that even the seasoned reader didn't see coming.

Worth  staying awake for?

Yes! And, if you are like me- it will definitely keep you awake at night!

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars for an absolutely twisted, freaky romp through the dark mind of Gillian Flynn.


http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5886881-dark-places

1 comment:

  1. I know - that is a hard one to quantify eh? At least she gives us an ending that is completely out of the ordinary!

    ReplyDelete