Tuesday, February 5, 2013

The Chaperone by Laura Moriarty

The Chaperone by Laura Moriarty follows Cora Carlisle, a thirty-six-year-old Wichita,Kansas woman who decides to chaperone fifteen-year-old Louise Brooks(based on the real-life silent film star) on her trip to New York City. Cora is hoping to discover in New York the answer to who she really is. Louise, on the other hand, is hoping to find a permanent was out of Witchita and into the spotlight.

This insomniac's opinion:

I loved this book! Laura Moriarty always does a wonderful job of immersing you completely into the time period in which the characters live. This book was no exception. Both in Kansas and New York, you could see the fashions and hear the music and the hustle bustle of the crowds. I was fascinated by both Cora and Louise- two very different women struggling to find common ground.

My favorite aspect of this book was that there were some small twists and surprises that I did not see coming. As an avid reader, I find that it is rare that I am truly surprised by a plot twist. I have become accustomed to figuring out exactly what is going to happen at the end of the book(it's Colonel Mustard! In the library! With the candlestick!!!!). So, when I am surprised by something, I am delighted!

On another note, add the 1920's to my list of eras that I have a complete fascination with. If you have a great book set in this time period, let me know!

Worth staying up all night to read?

Yes, and I sure did!

Rating: 4.5 stars (rounded up to 5 on Goodreads, because it deserves it!)

Want to add this to your Goodreads shelf?

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13056159-the-chaperone

No comments:

Post a Comment