Thursday, February 14, 2013

Darling Jim by Christian Moerk

I have no idea what to write in the synopsis for this novel, there was just so much going on. Let's just say that in Darling Jim by Christian Moerk, there are LOTS of twists and turns. A strange man (Jim) comes riding into town on his motorcycle and three sisters and their Auntie, along with half of the women in town, fall in love with him. This dark and secretive man will soon be the ruin of the entire family.

This insomniac's opinion:

It was very appropriate that Gillian Flynn wrote a recommendation for this novel, because Christian Moerk writes in the same brutally dark and twisted manner. However, this book was not quite as sharply written and arresting as a Flynn novel.

So, this book is in a special category of mine that I call the "what the ****(insert whichever four letter word that you like to use and doesn't offend you here)!" books. As in, throughout reading this book there were consistently twists, turns and ragingly screwed up developments that had me crying out "What the !?*#?????" Over and over and over again.

I did very much enjoy the consistent surprises, as I love when a book surprises me. I could not, however, read this book straight through. It had so very many characters. I was continually frustrated during the first half of the book by the fact that the author briefly mentions a character and expects you to remember them ten chapters down when he mentions them again. The story became very convoluted with too many characters and subplots, that I felt that I needed to write up an outline to keep track. The second half of the novel was much better, though and became focused on the main story line and had me chomping at the bit to finally unravel the story.

Worth staying up all night to read?

Do not, I repeat DO NOT read this book at night, especially if you are alone. But, it was an interesting read.
I'll just skip the recommendation and leave it up to you, my friends, to know if this is your cup o' tea.

Rating: 3.5 stars

Want to add this to your Goodreads shelf?

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5280659-darling-jim

No comments:

Post a Comment