Sunday, March 16, 2014

In One Person by John Irving



Book Synopsis(via Goodreads):


A New York Times bestselling novel of desire, secrecy, and sexual identity, In One Person is a story of unfulfilled love; tormented, funny, and affecting; and an impassioned embrace of our sexual differences. Billy, the bisexual narrator and main character of In One Person, tells the tragicomic story (lasting more than half a century) of his life as a "sexual suspect," a phrase first used by John Irving in 1978 in his landmark novel of "terminal cases," The World According to Garp.

In One Person is a poignant tribute to Billy's friends and lovers; a theatrical cast of characters who defy category and convention. Not least, In One Person is an intimate and unforgettable portrait of the solitariness of a bisexual man who is dedicated to making himself "worthwhile.
 
 
This insomniac's opinion:
 
 
I rather adore John Irving. His novel A Prayer for Owen Meany is in my top ten favorite books of all time. ALL TIME, people!
 
This novel was typical Irving, in that he took characters that would never be accepted by our narrow-minded society and made them the main characters in his book. I was halfway through this novel when I had an epiphany about just why John Irving's novels resonate with me so. It is because he, much as myself, loves the unloved. That is a beautiful thing.
 
I have to admit that the characters in this novel were deeply flawed and not terribly kind in a way that made it hard for me to get into the novel initially(when I say deeply flawed, it is not in reference to sexual orientation, rather their character and kindnesses). However, I loved the twists and turns and the unpredictable, nontraditional story arc and was rooting for all of the underdogs, even the unkind ones. I found it to be a very down-to-Earth and honest novel.
 
 
Worth staying up all night to read?
 
If you are open minded in regard to sexual orientation, transgender and very honest sex scenes, it might be a stay up all night read for you(it was for me!)
 
 
Rating:
 
4 stars
 

No comments:

Post a Comment