Saturday, January 18, 2014

Little Wolves by Thomas Maltman



Book Synopsis(via Goodreads):

Set on the Minnesota prairie in the late 1980s during a drought season that’s pushing family farms to the brink, Little Wolves features the intertwining stories of a father searching for answers after his son commits a heinous murder, and a pastor’s wife (and washed-out scholar of early Anglo-Saxon literature) who has returned to the town for mysterious reasons of her own. A penetrating look at small-town America from the award-winning author of The Night Birds, Little Wolves weaves together elements of folklore and Norse mythology while being driven by a powerful murder mystery; a page-turning literary triumph.


This insomniac's opinion:

I "read" this novel via audiobook and it was tough to get through. I must say that the writer's voice was impeccable and he had a way of using descriptive terms that was so unusual and poetic. I just loved the way he described characters and their surroundings. It was truly marvelous.

The story, however, I just did not love. It was dark and convoluted. It was so bleak that I found it leaving me in a funk after listening to the audiobook for a few hours. And, I can deal with bleak if, and only if, the story is fascinating or, at the least, redemptive. This just didn't do it for me- I just wanted it to be over. However, the writing was so distinct that I would give the author another try.

Worth staying up all night to read?

Ummm, No.

Rating: 2 stars(which I truly feel badly about, because there were paragraphs so beautifully stunning that they stopped in in my tracks!)



https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13536606-little-wolves

No comments:

Post a Comment