Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Growing Up Amish by Ira Wagler

 
Book summary(via Goodreads:
 
Ira Wagler was born in 1961, the ninth of a Canadian Amish couple's eleven children. At seventeen, in the dark of night, he left the religious settlement, but it was only nine years later that he finally left the church for good. His favorite Bible verse is from Psalm 34: "Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart." In this new memoir, he tells what it was like growing up Old World Amish and what it felt like leaving it for a strange new world. Far more than picturesque; Growing Up Amish conveys one man's heartfelt experience.
 
This insomniac's opinion:
 
Well, I finally did it. I lost my virginity.
 
No, no- not THAT kind of virginity. My audiobook virginity. Sheesh, get your mind out of the gutter!
 
My friend Krissy has been telling me that I should start "reading" audiobooks for a while now. I am a visiting nurse, thus spending a lot of time in my car. Time that Krissy believed could be better spent by listening to audiobooks. I have balked for so long because it simply feels like cheating. It's not really reading, right? I mean, it's a little like watching an exercise video and proclaiming that I worked out. There may be some truth to that theory. However, I am now a convert!
 
This book was fascinating. If you've read much of my blog, you know that I am fascinated by a wide range of subjects. Let's go ahead and add Amish living to that ever-growing list. The lifestyle is completely different and, therefore, fascinating to me. This book did not disappoint in that regard. I learned about different Amish communities and their way of life. Unfortunately, parts of this book were a bit slow going for me. Overall, though, an interesting and well thought out read.
 
Worth staying up all night to read?
 
If you share my fascination for all things Amish, it is!
 
Rating: 3.5 stars


2 comments:

  1. Wow I am proud that are teying something new! As you know I enjoy listening to Audio books and many of my reads or should I say listens are Audible books. If you have a great narrator it can really be awesome and you can listen anytime making it convenient.. I am intriqued by the Amish and will put this on my read list. Thanks for sharing your review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on breaking the seal on the tide of audiobooks coming your way! Don't say I didn't warn you ;)

    ReplyDelete