Monday, December 16, 2013

Life After Life by Kate Atkinson

 
Book summary(via Goodreads):
 
On a cold and snowy night in 1910, Ursula Todd is born, the third child of a wealthy English banker and his wife. Sadly, she dies before she can draw her first breath. On that same cold and snowy night, Ursula Todd is born, lets out a lusty wail, and embarks upon a life that will be, to say the least, unusual. For as she grows, she also dies, repeatedly, in any number of ways. Clearly history (and Kate Atkinson) have plans for her: In Ursula rests nothing less than the fate of civilization.

Wildly inventive, darkly comic, startlingly poignant — this is Kate Atkinson at her absolute best, playing with time and history, telling a story that is breathtaking for both its audacity and its endless satisfactions.
 
This insomniac's opinion:
 
I found this to be a very inventive and enjoyable read. It took quite some time to get into, as the "Groundhog Day" effect of starting over and over again was very abrasive, but that did get better as I read through. I can honestly say that I have never read anything like this novel, and considering how much I read, that is quite an accomplishment. I would have loved to give this novel 5 stars, but there were very few endearing characters and quite a few loose ends. Still a great read, though!
 
Worth staying up all night to read?
 
Yes, but I recommend reading it over several sittings. It is thick and not entirely smooth to read.
 
Rating:
 
4 stars.
 

1 comment:

  1. I have had this one on my TBR for a while...I need to get around to reading it. I can see how it would be a somewhat bumpy read, but I'm glad you enjoyed it. It does sound like such a unique novel.

    ReplyDelete