Saturday, March 7, 2015

The Far End of Happy by Kathryn Craft


Book Synopsis(via Goodreads):


After enduring years of a struggling marriage, Ronnie Farnham has decided to divorce her husband and is beginning to hope for a happy future--until the morning Jeff is supposed to move out, when he locks himself in their barn with a rifle.

When a massive police presence arrives to control the 12-hour stand off, the women in Jeff's life are pushed to their breaking points. Based on the author's harrowing personal story, The Far End of Happy is a powerful novel about the way one man's spiral towards life's violent conclusion tests the resolve, love, and hope of the women he will leave behind.

See Amazon for complete details on the novel: The Far End of Happy

***Many thanks to Net Galley and Sourcebooks Landmark for the advanced reader's copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review. ***


This insomniac's opinion: 


I have to admit that I fell in love with Kathryn Craft's writing when I read The Art of Falling in September of 2013. She writes wholly authentic, flawed women characters. Thus, I was thrilled to receive a copy of this novel which will be published May 1, 2015. 

This novel takes no time in sucking the author in. I was instantly regretting beginning the book so late in the evening. I could instantly feel that I would be up half of the night and would be ever so tired when my alarm clock rang in the morning. *sigh* The sacrifices we readers must make. 

I have to admit that some parts of the novel, certain relationships in general, felt a bit clunky and unrealistic to me. I can't quite put my finger quite on why. However, as a whole, the people were very real and authentic to me. I wanted a happy ending for all of them so badly. 

I'm not sure how to really review the novel without giving away anything, so I will end with this general review: Engrossing, emotional novel with complex characters that is dripping with suspense and leaves the reader with a melancholy sense of what might have been. 

Rating: 


4 stars

Worth staying up all night:


Hey, did you even read the above review? I'm still yawning a couple of days later. ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment